Many of virtual machines are implemented with stack architecture.
Stack based VMs:
- The Java Virtual Machine.
- .NET CLR
- Perl 5 virtual machine.
- SQLite Virtual Database Engine.
There is lot of interest in implementing VM based on register architecture too and practical register based VMs are started emerging.
Register based VMs:
- Parrot VM - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrot_virtual_machine
- Android Dalvik VM - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_virtual_machine
I decided to go with register based VM, thought of below two options and decided to go with first.
1) Implementing my register based VM in C
2) Implementing my register based VM in Java (Hey, java is improving and sun is adding multi language support and it is open!!!, so why not?) - In this case my VM itself interpreted on stack based JVM!!!